Back in 2005, the number one reason cited by consumers for registering a product was to receive warranty information. In 2016, the primary reason remains the same. Based on that data, you would think that nothing has changed in the product registration world.
But you would be wrong.
In today’s connected world, quite a few things have changed in the last decade:
- A new generation of consumers are now influential shoppers, who do not remember a time when the Internet (or Mobile) did not exist.
- This group’s expectations of how businesses should interact with them are completely different than that of the generation before.
- The boundaries of what is acceptable to exchange with a business for something of value has undergone a seismic shift.
For Registria, these changes have had a profound impact on what product registration is, how it’s implemented, and why it’s important.
- We listened to our clients—global brands—and uncovered the shift in the role of product registration. Now, as we happily intended, our solutions are less about product registration and more about customer onboarding, kicking off the post-purchase customer journey and triggering a new aftermarket sales channel.
- Building upon our 2015 launch of Photoregister—our text-to-register mobile solution, we launched our chat-to-register on Facebook Messenger in 2016. This launch allowed us to profile who this chat-to-register buyer is for the 2017 report.
- We commissioned a survey of 1,500 US consumers to delve deeper into their preferences on how to register. The results of this survey highlight significant generational and income level differences.
This research has illuminated and changed how we partner with global brands to craft their customer’s journey. We hope that these insights will provide you a new framework in how to connect with a new generation of buyers.